Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Makan Makan Restaurant

The Makan Makan experience :)

Who would have thought that inside the famous Manila Ocean Park lies an oriental space for food enthusiasts such as me. I couldn't be more happier when I looked at the place - menu and feel in love with the variety of Asian tastings they were offering - I WAS LITERALLY IN HEAVEN.

Makan Makan Restaurant is located on the second level of the Ocean Park Building in Manila, it offers various dishes from China, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines and even some Western dishes. 

Since, I haven't toured on some of the countries I've indicated, I decided to order some of the known recipes on the menu that I haven't tried though Tom Yum Soup of Thailand is an exception because it is highly a personal favourite :)
I am so fascinated by their open kitchen which lets one see how the chefs prepares the food and so, I think that for a kitchen, it was too organised and clean. You can also check out the crabs and other seafoods on to be cooked in one corner of the place.
My family is not a fan of appetiser but this BOLA BOLA SIOPAO which is a great staple of Chinese dish in my country was a must to be tried. As per my mother - it was average which means it taste very generic like those of Goldilocks, Red Ribbon and other restaurants that offers the same dish.
I must say their TOM YUM SOUP was the illiest! It rocked and tasted like the ones being served in Thailand and I couldn't be more happier. In Cebu, we have known Thai Restaurants and I always end up trying the said soup but nothing beats the spices and presentation that Makan Makan offered. It's a 10 out of a 10.
Another must try. MAKAN MAKAN SOUP. It was a mixed of seven different seafoods and a distinctive spice and taste that is truly Asian - Chinese to be exact and I love it. I like sticky kind of soup, they make great pair with rice :) 
I forgot what dish this is (because obviously this is a late entry), but I think it was from Indonesia or Malaysia. It was a spicy - sweet pan fried noodles which made me want to wipe it all out from the plate. I am a certified noodle lover, as I recall growing up - I eat nothing but noodles every day and my mother got worried and started hitting me with sticks so I'll eat rice and then look at how humongous I am now? Haha It's a family bad joke but yeah! I could live my entire life just eating noodles and I wouldn't have a problem at all :)
The famous CRAB MEAT RICE. For me it taste just like all the other recipes for this main table staple supply. I don't really fancy it, I think that it lacked more crab meat but it will do :)
This is SQUID from INDONESIA I think. A dish from the said country. It was spicy but I don't really like it too well but it was cooked perfectly. It just chewable and wasn't that hard to swallow down the throat.
MAKAN MAKAN Chicken! OMG! If there's one thing I love about Asian's way of cooking chicken - this is the best of the best. It made me think I was eating Turkey instead of chicken. I love the texture of how it was cooked. Basically boiled then deep friend. AHHH!!! Made me wish I'm there right now to indulge on it. 10 out of 10 for this dish. It also comes in whole. This one's in half.
CRABS and... FISH (obviously) Now these are typical Filipino seafoods dishes that you can order anywhere - anytime within the Philippine Archipelago :) I'm not a fan of crabs (I obviously do not intend to get my hands dirty while eating it and I'm allergic to it) but I must admit the sauce was perfect and the fish was cooked exactly just right. :)

Makan Makan Restaurant is not just a restaurant with different chefs and taste buds for the faint heart of foodie lovers but it offers you an experience that of an Asian out this this country vibe. It totally felt like I wasn't in the Philippines as I was dining because my view was that of the sea and people who were visiting Ocean Park. It felt like I was somewhere in Hongkong and Singapore. 

The food as for my verdict were awesome though I haven't tried everything, based on presentations and preparations - it was a 10 and the staffs that catered to us were all well put together and are knowledgable of their dishes. Something that I always look forward to in every dining experience.

Food prices are a bit high but it depends on what you want to eat. Prices starts at around 180php to 1500php. 

All in all it was a great experience. For more informations, you could check out Manila Ocean Park's webpage: https://www.manilaoceanpark.com/main/

Now leaving you with the great view going to the main restaurant - from our table when we had lunch and the view from the outside lounge at night where you can have cocktail drinks as you listen to some house music while watching the city lights around Manila Bay :)


If you readers are wondering who these two constant company I got with me are - they are my cool parents who unfortunately looks more like my friends than my gene provider - manufacturer :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment