Friday, March 1, 2013

Manila China Town

I've been into seven countries and in each of them even though three of which were dominated by Chinese - they still have China Town. And the Philippines is of no exception. 

I wrote an entry about the Kalesa tour I had with my father while I was in Manila and part of the tour was an intoxicating and fascinating tour around Manila's China Town. And I have to admit, it blew me off my feet because it literally felt like I was not in my own country but in China. Damn.
The famous strip of Manila Bay :) It's such a wonderful feel to be watching the sun set from this area.
Statue of Dr. Jose Rizal. Luneta Park/ Rizal Park
Statue of the late Action King Fernando Poe Jr.
Entering Intramuros, traffic started it's course already. If there's one thing that I so hate about Manila - it's the crazy traffic during peak hours which starts around 4p 'til 9p. Depends solely on the area though. Edsa is the deadliest during these times :D
Oldies branch of Max Fried Chicken. I've dined in here with my good friend Eunice some time ago when I went with her for her Cruise work processing. Pretty cool to think that it still stands up to now - Spanish era meen :D Define ANCIENT again :D
Old ruins and foreigner offices still stands and are preserved according to how they exactly looked in the past. And yes! some of the security personnels still wears the traditional "guwardiya sibil" outfit. Wish I had the chance to take a photo with them but time was gold when it comes to business with the Kalesa thing.
The Manila Cathedral. Would you believe, that I haven't step foot inside this church yet? Yes! I've been coming back and forth in Manila but never had I went inside the oldest church that still stand today. Probably one day when I'm with that special someone, I will.
To make it easier, each important building and sight in this area comes with a brief historical background about that era that came to be.
Pasig River. Best known for being a dirty river in the past but look at it now. All cleaned and serene. Thank you to all the good citizens and environmentalist people who voiced out their concerns and helped restore the river. There's also a river tour but I haven't tried it yet, maybe next time :)

Welcome to China Town! As you can see, it's like you're not in the Philippines. I mean with all the Chinese signage going around and stores and lanterns - it was like China but with an overflowing amount of cars and stuff. China Town is one of the oldest trading center in my country. People who live here are mixed. Pure Chinese, Filipino-Chinese, Filipino and some other foreign nationalities. 

What amazes me is the simple fact that, I am forever awed by Chinese businessmen. They are so keen and are so into their ventures and investment that you see the owners themselves talking to customers and shiz. Anyhow, I had fun during our 2 hour Kalesa Ride/Tour but next time, I'd love to just walk around the area and check out the stores. 

BTW, if you noticed, within China Town, there's a Catholic church that's also old. Filipino-Chinese in the Philippines are mostly Buddhist but some of them are pure Catholics as well. The Philippines is basically the only Catholic country in Asia. I mean, there are other religions in the archipelago but, it's mostly consists of Catholics.

No comments:

Post a Comment