Tuesday, August 23, 2016

DIY: Off Shoulder

I have a confess to make... for a long while, I have always dreamt of wearing and owning an off shoulder top. Being a plus size makes it a bit hard to find that perfect fit. A few stores had sizes for the summer that passed but I have to admit, most of them are a bit pricey. 

A few months ago, I started browsing through Pinterest for some DIY ideas when I came across a posting on DIY Off Shoulder top which was so easy to make and I decided to save that site (which I have to admit is too blog inspiring). And today, I finally took a step to achieve that personalised top I've been dreaming of. But I have to do a disclaimer for the photo quality. I will try to post an updated one, once I wear the piece in public.

Step 1. You have to have fabrics in order to make this DIY. The ones I'm using are scrap fabrics from my other DIYs. You also need to have the elastic fabric bond. A pair of scissors, threads, pins and sewing machine.

Step 2. Since this is a super easy DIY, your patterns could either be square for the sleeves and rectangular for the body but could also be like what I did, all rectangular to have longer sleeves. Make sure to pin only about 11 inches for the upper body (shoulder) and sleeve pattern. See photo below. Stitch the remaining sides for both sleeves and body pattern and don't forget to mark the length, so you'll know where to stop in attaching the sleeves.

Step 3. Then start stitching. I started with the pinned part of the sleeves and body pattern before doing the sides for both sleeves and body pattern. Finish it off by sewing the hems.

Step 4.  For the elastic fabric bond, stitch the shoulder hems but leaving an inch or more opening for the elastic fabric bond to go in. Use a chopstick for easier grip.

And viola!
I've never been more happier. If I have time to check out the textile section this weekend, I'll get some fabrics and make another one. I hope this post, made your day and would be inspired to create something fun. If there are questions about this, feel free to leave a comment. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment