Monday, January 22, 2018

Hello 2018!

Happy New Year everyone! First entry for 2018 as I'm counting down the few days left of my visit here in Holland. Here's to hoping that everyone had a wonderful NYE celebration and jump start of the year.

As for us, we started it with a whole lot of planning, little tears (from me obviously) and full of positivity for what's ahead this year. Currently sick but feeling better. As everyone in Cebu is feeling all the festivities of the Sinulog, I am also feeling the good vibes for, Martijn and I have made platforms for the next few months. Starting of with me learning to speak Dutch. Since last year, I have been trying to learn words and sentences with the help of Martijn's mother, I'm now able to say and write short sentences, though I have to admit that most of the time my brain freezes with the overwhelming idea that I am learning a new language at 34 but learning is a never ending curve.

Some might be asking as to why I have to learn the language, I have to learn to speak and write in Dutch to be able to take a civic integration examination, which is a requirement if an individual wants to stay in Holland for more than 90 days. My visa is currently valid for 2 years but I am only allowed to stay for 90 days each visit but I have no complains about it (just that the fare are high on peak seasons). If I pass the test, I'll be able to apply for a residence permit which is good for 5 years which will enable me to live with Martijn for good and be able to work in Holland. 

Holland has a different immigration platform compared to other European countries. I say, theirs is to secure that anyone who steps foot in their country gets treated fairly and would go out and be part of the society to make the whole nation a better place for everyone. At first, I didn't understood such policy but if you look at it in a bigger picture, it is really for you own advantage and I am looking forward to being able to blend in and slowly start a life here. So, here's to hoping that my Dutch improves and that all our plans as a couple works out.

Will also start to be active on here again. The next few months is going to be a little exciting but for now, this is it. #nosebleed is real :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment