Sunday, March 29, 2020

Easy Washable Face Masks

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I last posted anything. Things has kind of gotten hectic and crazy for most of us in the last couple of days - weeks - months. I've been doing a lot of rest aside from the national home quarantine that is being ruled in my country (well that, aside from I am still under treatment but will reserve that blog entry in the coming months - fingers crossed this pandemic is cleared by then). Here's to praying that you are all safe and sound and staying away from crowded places and following the regulations your country is implementing (it's for our own good).

Anyway, the purpose of this entry to help out anyone who wants to create their own surgical washable face masks - given that the non washable is on scarcity due to the impending spread of the CoVid19. I saw this tutorial on youtube with no sew masks but since I own a sewing machine, I decided to recreate mine with the aid of the machine. Will post photos, so it's easier to understand. Hope, this helps those who needs to own one. Goodluck!
Materials: Cotton Fabric, Bird's Eye Fabric, Garter Bands, Pins, Scissors, Threads, Surgical Masks, Pen and Paper. Sewing Machine (optional)
Step 1: Fold the surgical mask in half as seen on above photos, making sure that it's on full stretch to ensure the perfect fit. Trace the edges on paper as what I did and cut. The pattern should look like on the second photo when opened.
Step 2: Using the pattern you cut, place it on your cotton fabric and bird's eye fabric and trace the edges, making sure you give a half an inch allowance for folding and sewing - later on. Cut traced fabrics and prepare for sewing.
Step 3:  since this is a customised masks, the garter bands depends on how loose or tight you want it to be or for whom you're making it. The sizes of my garter bands are 9.5inches for me and my father and 8.5inches for me mother (since she has a smaller face)
Step 4: now that you've traced and cut the fabrics, it's time to sew. What you do is group them into two. A pair of the cotton fabric and bird's eye fabric will be sewn together and the remaining cotton fabric. You will have to sew on the inside of the fabric, making sure the bird's eye is on the outer layer as seen on the photo above. Sew straight on the edge keeping in mind the half an inch allowance (sorry I forgot to trace it on the fabrics but follow red arrows). After sewing the center of each fabrics, sew them together as seen on below photo.

This is how it's going to look like on both center of the grouped fabrics. Sew the edges as you have traced the pattern.
Step 5: Turn sewn fabric inside out and using a pin, fold and pin each sides as seen on photo and adjust your garter band to your desire size. Sew together.
Finish Product

For this project. I used 2 meters of Bird's eye fabric. 1 1/2 meters Cotton Fabric. These materials made a total of 18 facial masks.

There are a few glitches on how I wrote the instructions but I hope that I was able to give justice to how I made these washable face masks. Should you have any questions, I wouldn't mind answering them, just hit me a message on here. Happy weekend all!

No comments:

Post a Comment