Saturday, August 15, 2020

Brachytherapy

Hi everyone! Haven't been that active in the last couple of months and this particular post - is almost a year late but nevertheless writing down my experience on Brachytherapy. One of the cancer treatments that I underwent last year aside from Chemotherapy and Radiation Therapy (which I have yet to share)

What is Brachytherapy, that's the first question that I had then when I was being told that I have to undergo this treatment to get rid of the cancer in my body. Brachytherapy is a procedure that involves placing radioactive instrument inside the body. This instrument is placed in one's private area for a specific amount of hours (days, depending if it's low or high dose). This procedure is a protocol for Prostate, Ovarian, Cervical and Endometrial Cancer. 

I had this procedure sandwiched between Radiation Therapy. I was doing daily Radiation Therapy when I was scheduled to undergo Brachytherapy. The reason for this was to avoid complications once my private part starts to tighten because of Radiation Treatment. Since I had no history of giving birth, the private part is not as elastic as it would have been. 

Before anyone goes through this treatment, one has to be physically, mentally and emotionally prepared. Preparation starts with some laboratory works to ensure your body is ready for the treatment. After which laming and fasting follows. You will be given medicines to make sure your intestines are clean before the insertion. This is the part where you need to poop everything out - NO POOPING once the radioactive instrument is inserted. You also need to wear a surgical stockings prior to insertion (photo at the end of the blog) to clots from forming in your legs.

During insertion, you will be put on anaesthesia. The radioactive instrument comes in different sizes depending on how elastic the opening of one's private part is thus, the need for anaesthesia. But have no fear, you don't really feel anything after because you're still a little drowsy. By the time you feel some tiny pain, you're already in your hospital bed. 

Once the radioactive instrument has been inserted, you will be on catheter and on adult diapers until the treatment is over. No pooping for the duration of the treatment which is a little difficult - I did poop on my last day (I never thought that day will ever come in my adult life but it did - c'est la vie!). You will also be in your room alone - isolated because you can't exposed anyone on the radioactive material inside you. Eating and drinking was the most difficult part. On your bedside is a table that has all the essentials you need, intercom to call the nurse (no worries they can see everything you're doing from the cctv in the room) bottled water, remote controls, etc. 

Everything you need should just be within reach and oh, I forgot to mention that you are not allowed to move to avoid misplacing the instrument inside you. And I did mention that you will be alone in your room. So, imagine how difficult it was to eat (food is delivered by the nurse who wears the heavy suit for protection), with just one hand because the other has an IV line. My suggestion for those who have to undergo Brachytherapy is to bring more liquid and take finger foods such as crackers. Also focus on getting as much rest rather than connecting to the outside world. 

My Brachytherapy lasted for 45 hours. In the event that you do poop during the treatment, an on call radiotherapist will stop the radioactivity in the inserted instrument, so the nurse or your family member can clean you and then they activate it again. Once you're done with the treatment, you will undergo anaesthesia again and will be advice to rest and take some antibiotics.

The aftermath of this treatment were burns on my back which is a foot long and about 4 inch in width which I can still visibly see after almost a year. There will be a little pain in your private parts and you will have to do suppositories to prevent any infection. Basically, I did quite well with this treatment. Looking back at the hardships I have to endure for this treatment, I will always wonder why I never rejoiced on this victory by eating a box of pizza but kidding aside, any medical treatment is not fun. One has to be more than just physically, mentally and emotionally ready, one has to be spiritually ready as well.

This treatment was not a life and death kind of experience but some had, had it was worst and I am really blessed to have been surrounded by my family's strength and courage. I couldn't imagine going through this phase without my parents sitting outside for hours although they are not allowed to see me. And I can still remember how I cried because I needed to poop so bad but had to stop it which led me to having pains in my belly. Others should really give more credit to what cancer patients go through to get better. To my fellow cancer patients who underwent this treatment, be proud of yourself. Let's tap our backs and continue to soar because such victories aren't heard but here we are, a testament that things might be cloudy most days but there's always a rainbow after. Also, this post is to share my piece of adventure. There might be stuff that I have forgotten to mention, so feel free to message me. And, I would like to thank the nurses and staff at Davao Doctor's Hospital for taking good care of me and to my husband, my in laws and my entire family who were there for me in prayers. Cheers! 
Surgical Stockings - it comes in different sizes S-XL and can be bought from drugstores. The stockings basically runs up to the thighs.
IV line which was dextrose.
The hospital bed was surrounded by metal barriers on all sides. It looked really weird but these barriers are to protect those who comes inside the room.
And presenting the side table where all the essentials I need are placed.
Some of the selfies that I took (LOL - was literally bored and holding my poop at this time)

No comments:

Post a Comment