Sunday, March 9, 2014

Phat Pho

Finally a Vietnamese restaurant at the heart of the city of Cebu! Been hearing a lot of good reviews about it for some time now and thankful that my good friend Monica asked me out for a food trip with options on Japanese or Vietnamese - which obviously we decided to pick on the latter. Here are a few snaps of the place and what we had during our dine in.
The place was typically normal in size if you're really putting the entire Vietnamese vibe in it - it was neat and organised and I love the high chairs and the open kitchen where you get to see what's cooking. Now, this part is somewhat too Japanese if I may say but I love it. The menu is precisely consists of entrees that were truly Vietnamese with the famous Pho in all variations available.
We decided to order a combination of some of the dishes we're familiar with.
Shrimp Salad, when I stayed in Saigon a few years ago, I never tried their salad but based on how this looked from this photo and how it tasted, I have to admit that I can't quite compare it to that of the authentic ones from Vietnam but it was super healthy. If you're body conscious then this dish is for you. It had mangoes, shrimps, sprouts and other vegetables which is different from the American salads we're used to.
Beef Pho, my favourite indulgence when I was in Saigon. But I have to say, I was surprised to see my bowl of Pho with all the herbs and sprouts in it. Unlike the traditional Vietnamese servings, they decided to put everything on the bowl. Guess, I was just used to having the Pho serving then the herbs and sprouts served on another plate - so I could opt to put which ones I prefer but I think this was quite neat. The taste? It was good. Definitely had the same ingredients as the ones in Saigon.
Fish Cake, the Vietnamese version of the Pinoy fish ball but served with onions (onion rings like) and was patterned flat which was definitely something. The sauce was good. A little sour - a little sweet.
Shrimp Rice Roll, another personal favourite from Saigon. The peanut sauce was totally thicker in texture than those in Saigon but it was precisely mixed. 
Chicken Satay, now, this is A MUST TRY dish. I've tasted normal Satay, Malaysian Satay and this one and this by Phat Pho is fantastic. The aroma and taste is classic yet it leaves you wanting more. Perfectly grilled and spiced.
Vietnamese Coffee, of course nothing beats the original but theirs is not bad at all. I just wished they'll add more condensed milk on their servings. 
Coconut Cream Puffs, HEAVEN! I'm a huge fan of cream puffs and this by far was the grandest tastiest of them all. 

All in all, it was a good dining experience. It made me really happy to know that there's a Vietnamese restaurant that captures the authentic Vietnamese vibe within Cebu. There's one in Manila and then in Davao but Phat Pho makes me really appreciate each bite because I can see how my meal is being cooked and the place is just too neat not to be praised. 

Phat Pho is an affiliate to the famous Abaca resorts in Mactan and knowing that it is, expect only the grandest servings with a little amp price but worth every cent. Phat Pho is located at Crossroads in Banilad Cebu. Price ranges from 150php to 300php. And since the place is quite small, I suggest you can in early for lunch or dinner. For inquiries, you can give them a ring via the number on the first photo I posted. :)
My food trip date yesterday. Our next stop is some authentic Korean resto in the city. Hopefully soon before the month ends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment